Monday, March 2, 2009

GREAT SCOT! I'm Already So High on TV's Craig Ferguson, He Can Do No Wrong

Craig Ferguson. Oh, that naughty monkey.
Now the host of "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson," the actor once was most known for his role as Mr. Wick on the "Drew Carey Show." But it is as Matthew Stewart in the 2000 independent British film "Saving Grace" where I came to love Ferguson.
"Saving Grace," which also stars phenomenal British actress Brenda Blethyn, is the story of a suddenly widowed woman who must figure out how to save her home.
Thankfully, she has a pot-smoking gardener (Ferguson) and a plan.
Now, before you go and get the wrong idea, this isn't your average drug-cultivating, trafficking story. Think less "Blow," more "Calendar Girls."
Co-written by Ferguson, the film is actually a wonderful, tug-at-your-heartstrings comedy about an unlikely friendship, love, secrets and, of course, marijuana.
I was in love with the film immediately after watching it. But my affection was solidified after learning that my little brother had loved it and recommended it to the toughest critic out there: Mom.
Smart, witty, wonderful Mom. Not your average arts critic – but a critic of a different kind. A child of the '50s. Church-going, kind; I can count on my hands the number of times I have heard her say a cross word. Doesn't drink, doesn't smoke ... you get the picture.
My mom? Liking a movie about D-R-U-G-S? Gasp.
She still talks about "Amazing Grace." (Her title, not Ferguson's.)
Yes, a Scottish actor/writer made my mom love a movie about dubbage. Classic.
And it is with "Saving Grace" that I realized what I loved most about that wily Scot.
Funny to a fault, the man has quite a heart.
I still remember the Monday following Britney Spears' mini breakdown in February 2007. (You know the one ... shaved head, umbrella attack.)
Television hosts all over the country – from Jon Stewart to David Letterman – had a field day with the story.
But not Ferguson.
He instead took the time to celebrate the 15th anniversary of his sobriety. And to offer Spears best wishes for recovery.
That has stayed with me longer than any joke could have.
It really demonstrated what a stand-up guy Ferguson was. Instead of taking a cheap shot at a girl who was hurting, he spoke life, and I still appreciate him for that.
For almost a decade he has been on my radar, and I am truly looking forward to seeing Ferguson's standup at the Venue next week. He's made me laugh out loud through television and film, so I am expecting great things in person.
But if not, no worries.
I'll just put on "Saving Grace" and continue to love him.
He's already got my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment