Tuesday, April 21, 2009

GOING GREEN (In the kitchen.)



Giving up at least some meat better for your body, the planet
I’ve been helping the planet for years, and I didn’t even know it.
Now, don’t get me wrong, I make a conscious decision to protect our environment every day. Between the reusable bags, the recycling, lack of consumption and driving my car only to work – walking or taking public transportation for everything else – I do my part.
I even plant a tiny garden on the back porch of my Chicago apartment.
What I didn’t realize is that I was doing more that I knew.
Years ago, I made the choice to give up red meat and pork. Mostly for health reasons, although the latter came after a visit to a pork-processing plant in college. (I can still hear the pigs scream.)
The switch was a good one. I have lost and kept off a lot of weight.
Selfishly great for me. But as I learned recently, even better for those around me. Why?
A pound of beef requires around 12,000 gallons of water to produce, compared to 60 gallons for a pound of potatoes.
Twelve-thousand gallons of water. For ONE pound. That’s enough meat for just four servings of tacos.
Let’s be generous and say the average family of four only eats beef three times a week.
Over a year, that is more than 1.8 million gallons of water used just to produce 156 servings of protein. And we haven’t even added side dishes.
Yes, as I have been told time and time again, giving up meat is not for everyone.
But gogreen.com recommends that if you are a meat eater, try cutting out a serving each week. Every little bit makes a difference.
A few weeks ago, I contemplated giving up poultry, fish, dairy and eggs as well. Yes, me. A V-E-G-A-N.
Again, it is mostly for health reasons. The more weight lost, the healthier, right?
It was through my research on veganism that I realized just how much the food we eat has an impact on our planet.
And it made the switch even easier.
Now don’t get me wrong. I haven’t gone 100 percent vegan, and know I would die if I never allowed myself cheese again.
As I told my friend Shawn yesterday, I’m working more on a 90/10 split.
I am smart enough to know that eventually I will crave sushi, and break down and go. Even if I do pair my sweet-potato tempura with a little spicy tuna roll.
I have also learned to listen. My body let me know I needed protein Saturday after a day of running around, so I ate a chicken breast.
That was the only time in a week that I had any animal product. Not too shabby, huh planet Earth?
As I count down the days for the Vandergriend Farmer’s Market in Lansing to open — or my colleague Phil Potempa to start bringing in veggies from his farm — I’m just buying what I need from area grocery stores. Organic, of course. All in all, it hasn’t been that bad.
I already feel better, lighter.
Greener.

RECIPES
Vegan Pesto
1-1/2 cups fresh basil
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup pine nuts
5 cloves garlic
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a food processor until nuts are ground. Pesto should still have texture and not be completely smooth. Add more salt and pepper to taste. The pesto can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Serving suggestions: Toss with warm pasta and enjoy as a side dish, or add some cooked or raw vegetables to make a meal; use as a dip for vegetables, crackers or pita chips; top a whole-wheat tortilla or pita with some pesto, cheese – vegan or otherwise – and your favorite vegetables. Cook at 400 degrees for about 7 minutes until the cheese is melted, and presto: pesto pizza. The kids will enjoy this one as well.

Creamy Broccoli and ‘Cheese’ Soup
1/2 white onion, chopped
6 cups peeled and chopped broccoli florets
3 cups vegetable soup stock
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
3 Tablespoons olive oil
3 Tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
2 cups plain rice milk
1/3 cup nutritional yeast or 3/4 cup shredded vegan Cheddar cheese
Fresh ground pepper
Directions: Add onions, broccoli and stock in large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender. With a slotted spoon, remove one cup of broccoli florets. Set aside. Place remaining broccoli, liquid, parsley, thyme, rosemary and salt in blender and puree until smooth. Set aside. To make the “cheese” sauce: Heat the olive oil in the soup pan. Add the flour and cook on low for a few minutes. Stir in rice milk with a whisk, bring to a boil, then simmer until thickened, stirring constantly with the whisk. This is important — otherwise your sauce will be lumpy. If that happens, blend it or put it through a sieve. Stir in yeast flakes or cheese until blended through. Stir in broccoli puree and florets. Adjust salt if needed, and grate pepper in to taste. Heat gently, don’t boil. Serve immediately.

Quick and Easy Guacamole
1 large ripe avocado
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
dash salt to taste
dash cayenne, chili powder or taco sauce
Directions: Mash avocado with a fork until almost smooth, or until desired consistency. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well combined. Let sit in refrigerator for 1/2 hour to allow flavors to meld. Serve with organic blue-corn tortilla chips for a truly sustainable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment